” You’re pretty for a dark skinned girl “.
When you see that line come from a dark huns mouth or a written body of work, she’s about to tell you about how offended she is and how lame it is that people are even comfortable saying such. Like common bru, its 2017. Some of the cutest girls on this earth are dark skinned.
Being dark skinned has never been a problem for me. Except that one time I was at a vibe with my mom, and because she yellow, like yellow, the guest we were with did not believe she was my mom. I over heard her ask my mom if she adopted me.
A whole adopted, not even ” is her dad dark? ” or ” are there dark people in your family? or something.
It is alleged that I’m a stubborn nut to crack ( I believe that’s the saying?) so I was shook for all of 11.89 seconds and then got over it coz, 1. I was certain I wasn’t adopted so I couldn’t really be touched about her query; 2. my mom has always gushed to be about my complexion since before I knew what coconut oil was, so I’ve beeeen on a high about being dark. I’ve never really found it a coincidence that I like Honest Chocolate as much as I do.
10 years go by, and I get a little sister. She doesn’t come out as 89% dark chocolate swaggy as I did, she manifests as more of a caramel latte variant. 2 Parents on polar opposites of the complexion spectrum. 2 sisters and 2 different skin tones. It can only be lit from here on out.
In earlier days, during petty arguments about space and possession, she would hurl ” well, you’re dark skinned so you’re already losing at life “.
One day queen mother was a present spectator during one of our many debacles and my sister did it again, threw a young dark skin insult my way. Now, had it not been for the hype my mom had been feeding my whole life, I might have cracked. I just told her she was adopted, and let her live with uncertainty for a while. My mom, ever the realest G, didn’t say anything. She just gave me a look. A look of ( I see why you said that but wtf, tell her the truth soon).
We live in a black house hold – no kid has the guts to confirm that kind of information. Although it may be about you, it’s none of your business until you pay rent. Even then, it’s selectively your business. So it was quite a while before I told her she was actually blood deep with the rest of us coz I knew she wouldn’t ask lol.
On a serious note though, on some occasions, I let her know that if she chalks success down to her complexion, she will be in for a shock when she’s older.
It’s fair to mention that my sister and I get along perfectly well, but because of what she hears and sees about complexion, she was feeling herself. It’s okay – it will always be okay. Confidence needs to come from somewhere and because she is still young, physical attributes matter. She’s growing up and slowly her mind is changing not only about me and complexions, but about the world in general. Winning and losing in life to her is about ‘what you know and who you know’.
Give people time to learn, that’s all – and we’ll be fine.
Anyway, onto the actual point: 6 litty things I’ve come to find that comes with being a chocolate bundle of organic nutrients in the form of a hun*.
- We look good in all colors. Dark skinned huns have no concerns about looking washed out when wearing certain colors. Black pops on us, white pops on us and everything else in between makes us look like mobile artistry. Too great, man.
- Body bronzer at the beach ! Cummon, don’t act like you don’t know, don’t act like you don’t know !
- We’re always the center of attention during picture time hahahah :/ coz you know, lighting. Bottom line is you determine whether or not the squad picture will happen or not coz good light needs to find you.
- Most make up looks actually look like you genuinely have no make up on. So you will go out, cake the quack out of your face, and because we don’t have blending problems (I think) all those other vibes and generally have good skin, it looks like you woke up like this. With flawless skin and a glow worthy of the world to peep at. #Subjective
- Blue jeans a plain white T looks good on everyone, but looks extra good a dark hun. It is what it is. We don’t make the rules – we don’t even know who makes the rules.
- Black don’t crack. I have been bounced so many times from 21 and over places because apparently, I look like a 16 year old. I shouldn’t be proud to openly say that, lol but I am only because when I pull out my ID and the truth gets revealed, I get amused. Who doesn’t like getting amused? Cummon now 🙂
As an advocate fore the realist perspective both in politics (questionable) and sociology, I am comforted in knowing that there will always be conflict. It if wasn’t about light versus dark skinned, it probably would have been about height or eye color. Even ear size.
It is what it is and it’s okay because everything will get a chance to be fashionably cool.
an 89% dark glass chocolate milk.
*hun – A girl, lady, female etc.