In the early days of lockdown, everyone was baking their favorite and most missed treats and the belle of the bakery ball was the ever so popular New York Cheesecake.
Like everything on this planet, there is more than one way to do things and that is why it’s important to go out there and explore as much as you can! while this principle might not accurately apply to everything, it most certainly applies to cheesecake tasting.
From the city center to further out into the countryside, here are 6 spots around Cape Town that will make you wonder what life was like before you went there.
1. Tessa’s Bakery: This quaint bakery boasts a big catalogue of cakes and an even bigger reputation. If you are looking to low-key one-up your boyfriend’s mom and her baking, this is where to get the goods.
Address: Milpark Centre, Jasmin Rd, Milnerton, Cape Town
2. Balducci’s: Big slices and decadent textures will make you reconsider having a starter the next time you go back. In fact, a bottle (yes, a bottle) of wine a slice of their cheesecake will set you up for a good day ahead. So worth it.
Address: V&A Waterfront, 6162, Breakwater Blvd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town,
3. Mugg & Bean: Their caramel cheesecake is the bougie babe she thinks she is. High maintenance, as evidenced by the way her crust crumbles as soon as your teaspoon touches it, you can immediately tell she demands to be savoured and enjoyed with the utmost tenderness. “Don’t rush. Slow toshh”, (Tik Tok reference).
Address: V&A Waterfront, Shop 6155, 19 Dock Rd, Cape Town, 8000
4. Cowboys & Cooks: Elegant. For big and creamy slices, C&C is the place to take your book to and perch.
Address: 4 Liddle St, De Waterkant, Cape Town
5. Four Cousins: While it is a little far out, it is a great treat to look forward to at the end of a long drive. There is the option to have it served with a fruit jam, which I think is quite nice if you are looking to break the cream cheese taste and texture.
Address: 54 Voortrekker Ave, Robertson
6. La Moutte: A contemporary spin on the traditional cheesecake just because life needs a little adventure for it to make sense.
Address: 78 Regent Rd, Sea Point